2016년 5월 12일 목요일

5월 12일 뉴욕 타임즈 사설 번역

Capt. Nathan Michael Smith, who is 28, is helping wage war on the Islamic State as an Army intelligence officer deployed in Kuwait. He is no conscientious objector. Yet he sued President Obama last week, making a persuasive case that the military campaign is illegal unless Congress explicitly authorizes it.
네이선 마이클 스미스 대위는 현재 쿠웨이트에 배치된 육군 정보장교로 IS 대한 전쟁을 돕고있다. 그는 의식적으로 반대하는 사람은 하니지만, 지난주에 오바마 대통령을 의회의 동의 없이 군사적 행동을 하고 있다는 이유로 고발했다.
“When President Obama ordered airstrikes in Iraq in August 2014 and in Syria in September 2014, I was ready for action,” he wrote in a statementattached to the lawsuit. “In my opinion, the operation is justified both militarily and morally.” But as his suit makes clear, that does not make it legal.
"2014 8월에 오바마 대통령이 이라크와 10월에 시리아를 공습하라는 명령을 내렸을때 준비됬었어요." 고발장에 동봉된 진술서에 마이클 대위는 이렇게 썼다. " 생각에 공습은 군사적으로나 도덕적으로나 정당한겁니다." 하지만 그의 고발이 말하듯 그것은 작전을 적법하게 하진 않는다.
Constitutional experts and some members of Congress have also challenged the Obama administration’s thin legal rationale for using military force in Iraq and Syria. The Federal District Court for the District of Columbia should allow the suit to move forward to force the White House and Congress to confront an important question both have irresponsibly skirted.
헌법 전문가들과 몇몇 의원들이 오바마 행정부의 이라크와 시리아에 군사를 보내는 것의 적밥하지 않은 점을 지적했다. 콜럼비아의 연방 법원은 고발이 백악관과 의회가 회피한 질문을 마주치게 하기 위해 고발장을 통과시켜야 한다.








The 1973 War Powers Resolution requires that the president obtain “specific statutory authorization” soon after sending troops to war. Mr. Obama’s war against the Islamic State, also known as ISIS and ISIL, was billed as a short-term humanitarian intervention when it began in August 2014. The president and senior administration officials repeatedly asserted that the United States would not be dragged back into a Middle East quagmire. The mission, they vowed, would not involve “troops on the ground.” Yet the Pentagon now has more than 4,000 troops in Iraq and 300 in Syria. Last week’s combat death of a member of the Navy SEALs, Special Warfare Operator First Class Charles Keating IV, underscored that the conflict has escalated, drawing American troops to the front lines.
1973 War Powers Resolution 대통령이 병력을 전쟁으로 보내고 가까운 시일 안에 허가를 얻을것을 요구한다. 오바마의 IS 대한 전쟁은 2014 8 당시에는 단기간의 인도주의적인 중재가 예정이었다. 대통령과 고위급 요인들은 미국이 중동의 수렁으로 빠지지 않을 것이라고 장담했다. 임무는, 그들이 약속하길, 지상군은 포함하지 않을것이라고 했다. 하지만 지금 펜타곤은 이라크에 4천명을 보내고 시리아에도 400명을 보냈다. 지난주의 네이비 실의 특수전 요원인 찰스 키팅 4세의 죽음이 이제 분쟁이 격상해 미국 병사들이 전선으로 끌려가고 있다는 것을 알려주고 있다.
“We keep saying it’s supposed to be advising that we’re doing, and yet we’re losing one kid at a time,” Phyllis Holmes, Petty Officer Keating’s grandmother, told The Times. "우리는 계속 일을 해야 한다고 하지만 한명씩 잃고 있어요." 키팅 하사의 할머니 필리스 홈즈가 타임지에 말했다.
Asked on Thursday about the lawsuit, the White House press secretary,Josh Earnest, said it raised “legitimate questions for every American to be asking.” The administration has repeatedly urged Congress to pass a war authorization for the war against the Islamic State. It currently relies on the authorization for the use of military force passed in 2001 for the explicit purpose of targeting the perpetrators of the Sept. 11 attacks, which paved the way for the invasion of Afghanistan.
목요일에 고발에 대해 질문을 받은 백악관 언론장 조쉬 어네스트는 고발이 "미국인이 모두 물어야 질문" 만들었다고 했다. 행정부는 의회에게 IS 대한 전쟁을 승인할것을 종용하고 있다. 지금은 911 테러범들을 표적으로 법에 의존하고 있다.



“One thing is abundantly clear: Our men and women in uniform and our coalition partners are on the front lines of our war against ISIL, while Congress has remained on the sidelines,” the White House spokesman Ned Price said in an email.
"하나는 확실합니다: 우리 군복을 입은 남녀와 동맹들은 ISIL 대한 전선이 있었습니다. 의회가 옆에 서있을 동안." 백악관 대변인 네드 프라이스가 이메일로 말했다.
Yet, the White House has enabled Congress to shirk its responsibility by arguing that a new war authorization would be ideal but not necessary. Administration officials could have forced Congress to act by declaring that it could not rely indefinitely on the Afghanistan war authorization and giving lawmakers a deadline to pass a new law.
하지만 백악관은 전쟁 승인이 나면 좋겠지만 필요는 없다는 이유로 의회의 책임을 회피하게 만들었다. 행정 공무원들은 의회가 아프가니스탄 전쟁 승인에 기대지 않고 새 법안을 통과하는 데드라인을 만들게 요구할수 있었다.

By failing to pass a new one, Congress and the administration are setting a dangerous precedent that the next president may be tempted to abuse. That is particularly worrisome given the bellicose temperament of Donald Trump, the likely Republican nominee.
하지만 그러지 못했으므로 의회와 행정부는 다음 대통령이 남용할 수 있는 위험한 여지를 만들었다. 도날드 트럼프 공화당 후보의 성향덕분에 그런 걱정은 늘었다.

It is not too late to act before the presidential election in November. The Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell, and House Speaker Paul Ryan have shown little interest in passing an authorization. They should feel compelled to heed the call of a young deployed soldier who is asking them to do their job.

아직 11월의 대통령 선거 전에 법안을 만들기엔 늦지 안았다. 상원의장 미치 맥코낼과 하원의장 폴 라이언은 전쟁승인을 통과하는데에는 조금만 관심을 기울였다. 그들은 어린 병사의 할일을 할것을 요구하는 요구에 답하게 느껴야한다.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기